On this day 26 years ago, I came into this world.I was a whopping 3lbs 6.5oz (back in the day when they split up oz as well as pounds) I was in the hospital both here and in Omaha at the UNMC. I was in an incubator for a long time, and even had surgery to close off the hole in my heart, called Patent ductus arteriosus. I was not given a good prognosis, my pediatrician said I'd already have died if I'd been a boy (something like 25% survival rate at the time). Being a girl gave me an even chance to survive.
I did survive. I surpassed everyone's expectations and although I was a 33 week preemie, I was caught up for my age in everything except weight by the time I was 2 years old. Pretty cool, huh? By the time I was 12 I weighed in at an average 115lbs for my age and height. I was 5'4", taller than both my sisters and my mother. By the time I was 16 I attained my full healthy growth at 5'6" and 130lbs. Quite a difference from a baby that could be held in her mothers palm.
And there's more....
When I was 22 years old I got the best birthday present a mom could get. I delivered my 2nd child.
Jacob was born at 10:21PM on July 6, 2006. He was 8lbs 10oz and 20" long. A big boy by some standards, but at a full pound smaller than his big brother, he still remains my smallest baby. at 4 years old he is 34lbs and 40" tall. I am blessed to be his mother, and proud to call him my boy.
Happy Birthday, Jakey. And I wish you many more to come.


he looks so grown up!
ReplyDeletethanks, I've noticed that more and more each day. It makes me feel sad :(
ReplyDelete